Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mom - Wings Like Eagles Day 17-18

"but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:31 NIV

While I have been nursing my back the last couple of days I have been thinking alot about my mom. She went to be with the Lord in Heaven on July 4th, 1989 a few minutes before noon. I say a few minutes before noon because that morning she was taken from the house I grew up in to the hospital and the nurse told us that before the noon hour she would be in Heaven and she was right.

The above verse was her favorite and I have always pictured her getting her freedom from this world on Independence Day. Soaring on wings like ealges as she went to Heaven. The below is a picture of hers that hung in our living room growing up.



                      Not sure who the artist is of this painting.



I have often wondered how she maintained a strength so strong as she fought her cancer battle for a little over six months. My mom was a woman that I thought was Superwoman with a capital "S". Always going, always so strong, always caring, always knew the right things to say at the right times and never met a stranger. Her arms were so big that she could take care of my dad, my brother and me and still have time for church and extended family. She was the strongest christian woman I have ever known.

I always came back to this verse..."..those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength..".."..they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint". As I spent time with her during those last few months of her life I was always amazed at her strength and faith in God.

I was 19 at the time and I am not sure if I was naive and thought she was going to get better, didn't know the whole truth or really didn't understand. What I do know is that as I watched her suffer everyday she never lost her faith. I never said the things I needed to say to her or asked the questions that I needed to ask BUT I did tell her daily several times that I loved her.

As she laid on her bed in her bedroom I would put my daughter, her granddaughter, on the bed...no matter how sick she was she wanted "grannie's girl" to sit on the bed to crawl and sit with her. To play with her little blocks.  "...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength..".

As I continue on my journey I am going to cling to this verse.

My mom now has more granddaughters and a great-granddaughter and would spoil them to no end I am sure!

I miss you Mom!!

"I'll breathe my life inside of you
I'll bear you up on eagle's wings
And hide you in the shadow of my strength."
My Beloved by Kari Jobe




No comments:

Post a Comment