Sunday, November 20, 2011

God's Word ~ Intimate Personal Relationship

Get into God's Word. Develop an intimate personal relationship with God. Huh? What?

I am having problems in my marriage. Get into God's Word. I am having problems with my children. Get into God's Word. I am having problems with my job. Get into God's Word. I don't know what to do. Get into God's Word. Huh? What do you mean "Get into God's Word"? I need answers now, I need help, I need direction. HELP!!

In dealing with trials and problems the response I would get was not the one I wanted to hear. I wanted direction, someone to guide me and tell me what to do. I can't find what God wants me to do. Where do I even begin to look in the Bible? I don't understand what He says sometimes. It was confusing....UNTIL...I got into God's Word.

It didn't happen over night or even in a month. It took me digging in His word. It took me crying to Him to open my eyes and my heart to the words on the pages. It took soul searching. I couldn't understand or even begin to comprehend His words, because I was holding on to past and present hurts, anger, jealousy and caught up in trying to please everyone. Once I really let go and let God... my life started change. The problems are still there they have not gone away but I am seeing them with different eyes. I am dealing with them by turning them over to God.

Do I still get angry, frustrated and hurt? Absolutely, I am human and my humanly flesh would love to control. But that is not what God wants. He wants me to pray about it and give it to Him. Not just give it to Him a little bit but completely surrender it to Him. Again, all this did not happen over night or even in a month but over time with lots of tears and prayers my eyes are opening. Lots of dealing with past and present hurts, abuse, betrayal and things I have carried with me since childhood.

I got started by reading the book of Proverbs that corresponded with what date is on the calendar. For instance, today is the 20th so I would read Proverbs 20.

God's words are now coming alive to me. They stand out on a page.  I can read a scripture in my NIV Bible and if I don't understand it I look it up in The Message version. Just the other day I received a book in the mail from a dear person. It just so happened I had purchased the same book years ago. I had tried to read a couple of chapters but did not understand it. I then put the book that I got years ago on a shelf and allowed the dust to collect. Once I received the same book in the mail a couple days ago, I opened it and started to read and kept reading. I understood it now, through new eyes and a new heart that God has given me.

If someone asks what do I do, where do I start... I say for me it helped to start in Proverbs and read the Gospel of John. Just get into God's word....Read it....Reread it...Let the words linger in your mind. Make time for God...if you have time for Facebook, Twitter, T.V., Yoga...then you have time for God. He talks in His word about idols, not to put idols before Him. If you spend time on social media sites or watching television instead of being in God's word you could consider those things and idol. Why? Because it is taking up your time that you could spend in God's word.

I can understand things now...why?....because I got into God's Word. I developed a Personal Intimate Relationship with a loving and all knowing God.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment